The houses existing at the former main square (today the Wolności Square) come from the 19th and 20th century, but part of the walls and foundations of some of them may date back to the 18th and even 17th century. The originally two- or one-storey houses were supplemented with additional floors from the 18th century. The one-storey houses of the poverty were built in the peripheries near the defence walls.
In the 19th and 20th century, come of the tenement houses were replaced with ridge houses, each built on two or three former parcels. Flat roofs appeared, along with decorative towers, adorned elevations, large exhibition windows on the ground floor, etc. Typical public housing began to develop outside the town area, as well as decorative villas, particularly in the inter-war period. The neo-gothic architecture of the former city hall with the attic and corner towers stands out among tenement houses at the Wolności Square.
Earlier city halls with very modest appearance were located in the middle of the square. When the previous one burned in 1863, the current one was constructed two years later as a two-storey brick building decorated with a cartouche with the city’s coat of arms presenting a lion holding a salmon in the paws.